07 May 2012

learning opportunity

Many moons ago, I took a history of creativity course as an elective because it sounded like a cakewalk class I wanted to be learned.  The final for that course consisted of building/performing/making a major project that was then showcased for the entire university to praise and adore.  For my project, I built a soapbox derby car painted to look like a Curtiss P-40 Warhawk from WWII.  I'm sure I don't have to say this, but yes, it was as awesome as you think it was.  It was even better because the derby car was fully functional. 

In fact, it was functional enough that I took it down a rather large hill.  Except that when I say 'fully functional', I actually mean, 'everything pretty much works except mostly the brake and sometimes, if it's going too fast, the wheels fall off'.  I found this out because the hill I took it down falls into the 'I guess the push start was wholly unnecessary...' category.

It was awesome.

Or at least it would have been, had my wonderful wife not decided to start screaming instead of continuing filming when I spun around backwards, the wheel fell off, and the brake kind of broke a little, sending me careening towards a certain doom also known as The Sidewalk where I only slide on my head a little bit.  This is where Melissa could use Archie D'Mello as a learning opportunity.  Archie D'Mello understands that pictures last a lifetime and pictures make the story all that much better. 

That's why Archie D'Mello took pictures as his wife was attacked by cheetahs at a petting zoo in South Africa. Of course.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I love reading your blog. It makes me happy, and I seem to laugh out loud during quiet moments of the day when I'm left to ponder. I only hope your child survives all your "adventures" with you!