29 April 2009

quasi-boring jobs

I think geology (if you are over the age of eight and still have a pet rock, you might be a geologist) would get pretty old after a while. And by ‘a while’ I mean ‘more than 12 minutes’. I believe this is why geologists came up with such a fantastic rating system for volcanoes: the Volcanic Explosivity Index. This was their attempt to lure unsuspecting undergrad students into the terribly riveting world of the rock cycle. And by ‘terribly riveting’ I mean ‘like watching paint dry without the benefit of fume-induced hallucinations’. And by ‘rock cycle’ I do not mean ‘Aerosmith’s upcoming North American tour from June-September’.

They even tried to make it more exciting by incorporating descriptions like ‘paroxysmal’, and ‘mega-colossal’. DO NOT BE FOOLED! You will be forever stuck studying things like plate tectonics and stratigraphy which are NOT things you want to be forever stuck studying! And by ‘forever’ I mean ‘forever’. Geologists measure time in millions of years. This means they are very rarely on time for meetings.

Consider yourself warned.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

Rude. I like rocks.

Linda Stahr said...

I thought Brittany would have commented on this... Are you trying to tell us that you're changing jobs to becoming a Geologist??? Or is this an explanation for not being on time for things?

Ethan said...

There are four geologist in the team that I currently work in. I am going to forward this post to them to seem if I can illicit some rousing comments on your blog.